Saturday, March 13, 2010

My Grandmother & Gay Marriage (The Million Dollar Question)

So my grandmother (and believe me, I love her to death) is your textbook 85 year old southern woman. She's been a Baptist her entire life, and the south has done wonders for her beliefs. Every single conversation we have turns into a political or theological debate with interjections of "Well, Rush said..." or "I heard on Rush the other day...", so you can imagine how wonderful it is to talk to her.

She called today and in between asking me about the weather, my health, and my kids, we got into a discussion about gay marriage. I can't remember quite what started it, but I remember myself mentioning the cherished New Covenant that my main man Jesus Cristo brought to the table in the New Testament. I was explaining to her that the New Covenant voided everything in the Old Testament. I guess i'll start there:

----

Me: ...And that's another thing - Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. Not one word.

Her: Well, everyone's going to have to stand before God in the...

Me: Right, but this whole gay marriage debate is preposterous. Why shouldn't they be allowed to get married?

Her: Well, you remember Sodom and Gomorrah. That was...

Me: OLD TESTAMENT. That was the wicked and jealous God, not the new fluffy "I love you" God from the New Testament.

Her: Jesus and God are one person...

Me: Yes, but you have to see that there was quite a character change when you flip from the Old to the New. In the Old, God was killing people, destroying the earth with floods, wrecking cities, etc.

Her: But Sodom and Gomorrah. That's where the word sodomy came from because you KNOW what those people were doing...

Me: Okay, but what about gay marriage? Should it matter whether or not two guys want to get married?

Her: I can't judge, that's up to God. Everyone will have to stand before God on Judgement Day.

Me: So you're saying you can't judge or tell these people what to do? Because to me, the majority voting on minority rights is pretty stupid. And it's not a church issue either. If a church won't marry two people of the same sex, that's fine. That's their business. The government isn't going to force churches to perform or recognize marriage ceremonies. Separation of Church and State comes into play. Now if there are churches that want to be involved, and that offends you, just don't GO to those churches. It's that simple.

Her: Only God has the final say.

Me: So you're going to vote "YES" if the issue ever shows up on the ballot in Colorado, right?

Her: What???

Me: Since it's only up to God to judge a person's actions and it doesn't affect you one way or the other, if the issue is ever on the ballot, you're going to vote "YES" so those people have the same rights as everyone else, right?

Her: ...We're just going to have to disagree...

----

From there it went back to the normal conversation.

This is a prime example of why there's no reasoning with these people. They regurgitate the filth that Limboob and Beck spew through the airwaves and think that Leviticus is completely relevant to modern issues.

These are the people that think that anything having to do with "progress" and moving forward is evil. The same progress that freed the slaves, desegregated schools, allowed women to vote, brought child labor laws etc. They feel that this impedes our goal. Our goal of what, I don't know, but there's something that bettering ourselves will cause that these far right crazies are terrified of. There's something about equal rights for other people that has them hiding under the covers at night.

When I figure out what this horrible thing is, I'll be the first to let you all know. Have a nice evening.

1 comment:

  1. Much like my ex husband's parents, I love, LOVE, when religious subscribers have views, ideas, and unwaivering beliefs until you challenge them. Then, magically, it's not their place to judge, it's that of God. I'm sorry but five minutes ago, you had no problem judging and condemning. But when confronted with fact and logic, you can pass the ball to God and deny any ability to have an opinion? Ah, now I see. Have an opinion until you're unable to back up said opinion, then make it religious enough to not need any rationale. Gotcha.

    ReplyDelete