Thursday, August 5, 2010

Death is the End of the Ride and You Fear It

"Oh shit, he's talking about death again." Actually, yes, I am. It was a healthy blend of Hitchens on AC 360 and Rollins Band that made me start thinking about that inevitable fate that we all share. It just seems so silly how emotional people get when they're dying. I understand friends and family, but not the individual. So bravo to Mr. Hitchens for being a man and keeping his cool through a shitty situation.

Before any of you call the cops and tell them there's going to be a suicide in Benbrook, let me say that I expect to live a fairly long and productive life and, assuming I don't get hit by a bus or gang raped by a pack of angry giraffes, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. I just don't get the whole conversion on the deathbed thing. Like it's really going to matter at that point.

I dunno. This is short and sweet and I just wanted to giggle over the terribly ironic fact that the people who are most afraid of dying are the ones who believe in an afterlife. Go figure.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading a novel that was set in the "winter" of a person's life. While the idea that this joyride will eventually end one day - maybe soon, maybe not - I figure that it's a waste of time to 1. dwell on it and 2. mold my life to some fantasy of an afterlife

    All I have is this second.

    ReplyDelete